Monday, April 7, 2008

WELL IF BRUCE CAN SHARE; LISA CAN SHARE - GRANDMA CAN SHARE, I CAN SHARE THE CINCINNATI CHILI RECIPE NOW!

You know, I thought I'd get to take off for a while. I've been having a great time chasing all the critters out in Lisa & Chris's woods!

Well, I heard everyone was working hard putting chili recipes on my blog - this DOES belong to me, you know!

I'd thought I'd wait until I got done playing to put my Cincinnati Chili recipe up here, but nooooooooooooo......


Nope, they all started playing with my 'page',
so I had to come back, and 'protect it'.


Anyway, I saw Bruce finally 'fessed up' with
his recipe; nothing more to do but 'share'.



This is a pretty involved recipe - plan on having a few more
minutes in the kitchen with this one...but it will be worth it.


You can serve this chili over spaghetti like they do in
Cincinnati. They pile it high with grated cheddar cheese; lots of chopped up onion - they put on extra beans sometimes, and really drop a lot of that hot red-pepper sauce on it too! Then they sprinkle those little oyster crackers on it - it sure is good with a big Pepsi; and a couple of coney dogs too (hey, now that's a dog that doesn't look anything like I do).


In a large skillet or big pot (I use a big pot because I make a
lot):



Brown up about 1-1/2# of ground beef - add to that about 2 medium chopped onions. Don't forget to put in 2 cloves of garlic; or buy it already minced - 2 or 3 Tablespoons of that stuff is great!

Once you get all of that browned, drain off any excess fat - people and dogs don't like that animal fat in our systems.

Now add: 1 cup of barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup of water; bring it to a boil.

Add all of this stuff:
1/2 ounce unsweetened grated chocolate
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
Simmer all of this for about 2 hours - add about 16 ounces of vegetable juice; 8 ounces of tomato juice.
Now make up your favorite spaghetti - this is called a 'FIVE-WAY' (just like my blog).
When you serve it: Put down the spaghetti - pour on the chili; top with red kidney beans that you've heated through; lots of shredded cheddar cheese, and a good helping of oyster crackers.

Don't forget to save some of that chopped onion for
the top - it can't be a FIVE-WAY without those onions! I like to put
hot-pepper sauce 'all over' that stacked up spaghetti &
chili!
Now get some hot dogs - simple; nothing fancy.
Put some of the chili on that too - add mustard; onion - I don't bother with any
beans; just lots of cheddar cheese and hot-pepper sauce on
top.

Okay, now that's done - back to seeing where that squirrel went......